Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ramblings

Yesterday, I walked aimlessly around the Fort area soaking in the sun (trying to beat a Vit D deficiency). I also took in an exhibition of 3D paintings at the Jehangir Art Gallery. Different, but too morose for my taste (or maybe I interpret them wrong). Chrys messaged asking if I would like to meet him for lunch at Trishna. I agreed but I later realised that he was actually with a client, taking her around for meetings and they were trying to kill time before the next one. I wasn't too comfortable joining in on a business lunch but I agreed to accompany them to the museum.
The Prince of Wales museum, which has been renamed long ago but is still called that by most people, is actually quite an average place as museums go. There are some amazing Nepalese and Tibetan artefacts- a lot of them from Sir Ratan Tata's collections, but hardly any Indian exhibits. They had an Egyptian mummy exhibit, but since I have been to Egypt and seen their museums, I wasn't too impressed. What really shocked me was the price of the entry ticket. A couple of years ago, I had visited the museum at Rs. 30 and yesterday it cost me double that. Nothing has changed (except for that lone mummy) and there is a 100% increase. Inflation? I don't think so.
Chrys' client was a lady who has travelled to 58 countries so far as part of her job. I couldn't help but be wide-eyed at that fact. However she seemed like a normal person who didn't change much due to her travels. She did say that she visited a lot of museums but preferred to skim through rather than take an elaborate tour. With her kind of schedule, who has the time?
I wonder how it feels to be her - constantly living out of a suitcase - when your home is just a 'base'. Do people like her ever get homesick? What exactly qualifies as 'home' these days when a lot of us have shifted around so much for work?

1 comment:

cerisecarnations said...

i have been to that museum multiple times when i was a child. I liked it then maybe because as a child i couldn't tell whether the exhibits were good or not.
I like travelling but doing it as part of a job is not fun.
I hope your lunch was good.