Thursday, May 2, 2013

I am not a friendly neighbour

We have pretty strange neighbours upstairs. Every morning at around 5:30, they go bump, thump, dham. It sounds like a baby elephant walking across the room. I can't imagine what's going on. Also they usually drop their laundry into my balcony while hanging it up to dry and usually it's the unmentionables.
This morning a heavily bearded lungi wearing fellow rang my doorbell and stood their with a sheepish smile and pointed to the room behind me and made some mumbling noises. I instantly realised it's the guy living upstairs but I decided to let him sweat a bit.
I asked him, "Yes?"
He said, "My... that... fallen..um" (in a heavy south indian accent)
I asked, "What?"
He said, "Pants, my... fallen".
Then I told him he could pick up his pants himself, (I'm not touching them). It turned out it was a pair of ladies salwar. He went in and picked it up while I ran to switch off the gas (I was boiling some tea).
When I turned around he was standing there with that sheepish smile. He asked, "Neenge Tamil-a?" (Are you tamilian?) I anwered in English, "No, I'm a mallu".
Then I started moving towards the front door- hinting that he should leave. He moved towards the exit reluctantly and asked something again in Tamil. I pretended not to understand. Then in broken English, "Where from you are?" I said, "Mumbai". "Your husband where from?". I said in a firm voice, "My husband isn't here, he has gone to work" and opened the door. He finally got the hint and left.
I don't like nosy people, especially ones that go BUMP in the night...ok, early morning!

1 comment:

The Wanderer said...

:D You are a weird-people-magnet ! The lady in Zumba class and now the strange-noise-making neighbours !